Welcome! Professionally, I am a computer engineer and technical business leader. Personally, I am a technology enthusiast and nerdy dad hoping that my homebrew doesn't explode in the garage. I love to learn, collaborate, and build new & wonderful things.
You can find links to my profile on various social media sites on my personal homepage, located here. You can e-mail me
Some things that I currently do:
- Director of Engineering at DeepSig, where we are working on applying deep learning to signal processing and radio communications in fun, new ways.
- Consult for DARPA on their latest grand challenge, SC2.
- Run the GNU Radio project, which is an open-source design toolkit for signal processing and wireless communications.
- Serve as President of The GNU Radio Foundation, Inc., which manages the resources that support GNU Radio.
- Founding Board Member of the Open Research Institute, with Michelle Thompson and Bruce Perens.
- Lead the development of SigMF, a metadata format for describing digital recordings of signals, which has been adopted by government, industry, and academia.
- Creator / Maintainer of Powerlevel9k, a framework for making your terminal more awesome, with a userbase in the hundreds of thousands.
- Member of the FOSSi Foundation Committee on Licensing, which is working to create open-source licenses for digital designs (e.g., FPGAs, ASICs).
- I mill about in other open-source groups, such as The OSI and SPI.
- Occasionally serve as a proposal review panelist for the National Science Foundation's Networking Technology and Systems program.
Some things I used to do:
- Lead Organizer for the GNU Radio Conference.
- I held a few different roles at Ettus Research, including staff engineering, product management, and running the R&D organization.
- Worked on software radio architectures and heterogeneous computing as a grad student at The Hume Center for National Security and Technology at Virginia Tech.
- Provided consulting services to a number of customers in the SDR space under the moniker "ieTR Engineering".
- I was an Associate Engineer at Zeta Associates and a software engineer at eXMeritus Software, both of which have since been acquired.
- As an undergrad I worked on the OSSIE project, a fork of which became REDHAWK.
If you're looking for slides or recordings from a talk I have given, check out this page.
About this Site
As the tagline reads, this is my personal blog. There isn't much of an over-arching theme other than being my soapbox.
The site itself has been through a number of iterations, going back to ~2007 when I self-hosted it on a VPS with Wordpress. It is now hosted by the Ghost Blogging Platform.
Note that I do use referral links in some posts to help cover the cost of the site. So far, I have made precisely zero dollars doing this, but who knows, maybe one day I'll earn enough to at least buy a pint.
I Am Not A Lawyer
If you ended up here, it's likely because I'm providing a disclaimer in a post. Namely, that I'm not a lawyer. I have absolutely no law background, and you really shouldn't trust anything I say regarding legal matters.
I did read a bit of state legal code, once. It was awful, but I did manage to get myself out of that traffic ticket, so, I suppose it was worth it. Maybe.
Anyway, you should definitely consult a lawyer if you have any actual questions.
You can find my public PGP key here: https://bhilburn.org/pgp-key/
You can also find me on Keybase: https://keybase.io/bhilburn